Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church is located on Breitscheidplatz in Charlottenburg district. To get there, get off at Zoologischer Garten or Kurfürstendamm stations.
The original church was built at th end of the XIX century by orders of Kaiser Wilhelm II in a neo-romanesque style, in the spirit of revivalism. The inside of the church was covered in mosaic, fashioned in old style, representing scenes from Germany’s half mythical past, as well as contemporary times. The ones located in the tower survived and can still be admired today.
Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church sustained its damages in November 1943 during the bombing of Berlin by the british RAF forces. Most of the church burnt down, leaving mostly the external walls made of stone.
The church actually survived the war in much ‘better’ state as it is today – most of it was pulled down by instructions of Egon Eiermann, an architect who was given a free hand to renovate the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church as he pleased.
The old building was replaced by set of geometrically shaped modernist buildings, including a new tower and a church. His original plans were to demolish the whole old remains, however due to resistance from the local population it was decided that the old tower will be left as it was.
Its demolished stature was to remind the people of Berlin what can happen if they let their nationalism get better of them again.
Website of Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church:
One thought on “Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church”